Vegan Potato Leek and Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large leeks quartered and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups white onion (1 large or 2 small) diced
- 2 lbs gold potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped fresh curly kale or 2 cups cut frozen kale
- ½ tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can white beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
Chop garlic and vegetables as indicated with the ingredients list.
Heat oil in stockpot over low-medium before adding chopped garlic and stirring for about 1 minute.
Add the chopped leeks and onions. Cover for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions & leeks take on a slightly translucent color.
Add chopped potatoes and vegetable broth and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for a total cooking time of 20-25 minutes.
Add dried rosemary, salt and pepper, as well as optional ingredients, before stirring.
For a hearty texture, carefully mash with a potato masher. For a smooth, creamy texture, use an immersion blender for 20-30 seconds. Alternatively, you may let cool before transferring to a high quality blender.
Stir in the kale while still hot, before serving.
Full article written by Kelly Jones MS, RD, CSSD, LDN on kellyjonesnutrition.com
A healthier you awaits… Ready to get started with the Newtown Athletic Club?
Learn more & schedule a visit by completing the form below!
Oops! We could not locate your form.