A perfect fall recipe! Kick-off the season with these yummy muffins.
- 1½ cups flour (whole-wheat pastry flour or white-whole-wheat flour; or combine ¾ cup all-purpose flour + ¾ cup regular whole-wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup 100% pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon orange peel (zest), grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg for 30 seconds, until foamy. Add the milk, pumpkin, oil, and orange zest. Beat well. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and stir until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups three-quarters full with batter. Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops spring back when you touch them with a finger. Turn out muffins onto a wire rack to cool. Once cool, you can freeze the muffins, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 months.
Interested in more healthy recipes from our Registered Dietitian? Fill out our form below!
Oops! We could not locate your form.
Recipe written by Registered Dietitian, Joy Bauer.