What is the Adaptive Fitness Program?
The Adaptive Fitness Program is designed to help improve the health, wellness, and physical activity for individuals with disabilities through one-on-one mentoring. The program is here to promote and advocate disability sports to the community. Workout plans are created and implemented based on the individuals wants and needs. Our primary goal is to increase overall quality of life through exercising and community inclusion.
Who can Benefit from Adaptive Fitness
Individuals who have a mental or physical disability that prevents them from exercising or performing day-to-day physical activities can benefit from this program. This program serves a broad range of individuals, ranging from young children to elderly adults.
Individuals with the following conditions have the potential to see improvements using Adaptive Fitness. Adaptive Fitness benefits are not limited to these conditions:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental Disabilities
- Down Syndrome
- High Blood Pressure
- Mental Health Issues
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
Benefits of Adaptive Fitness
- See improvements in muscle strength, coordination, and flexibility.
- Improve exercise endurance, cardiovascular efficiency, and possibly increased life expectancy.
- Experience better balance, motor skills and body awareness.
- Will show improvement in behavior, academics, self-confidence and building friendships.
- Will have positive changes in their health, quality of life and boost to their self-esteem.
- Gets to experience a sense of accomplishment
- Experience increases in attention span, on-task behavior, and level of correct responding.
- Will increase appetite and improve quality of sleep.
- Will see a decrease in secondary health complications like obesity, high blood pressure, low HDL (“good”) cholesterol and diabetes.
- Will find an outlet for their physical energy, will help them cope with stress, anxiety and depression.
For more information about our Adaptive Fitness Program at the NAC please contact Youth Programs Director Amanda Brown: email@example.com